lmi

RE: [lmi] Calculation summary: tidying up loose ends

From: Boutin, Wendy
Subject: RE: [lmi] Calculation summary: tidying up loose ends
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 17:27:59 -0500

Greg Chicares wrote:
> On 2006-11-7 16:19 UTC, Evgeniy Tarassov wrote:
> > On 11/7/06, Wendy Boutin <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> * Scalar data formatting tags
> >>
> >> I'm still not sure I completely understands where this stands.
> >> Are right- and left-justified tags available for the scalar
> >> data in the headers?
> [...]
> > If you mean the data in the table with vector values
>
> No--the data with scalar values, shown above the html table.

That's what I meant.

> > If you mean the scalar data which is located above the table (example):
> >    Male, Nontobacco, age 45
> >    23,844.41 guaranteed premium
>
> Yes. I think what Wendy has in mind is not this:
>
> >    0         initial term specified amount
> >    1,000,000 initial total specified amount
> >    CT        state of jurisdiction
> [versus]
> >            0 initial term specified amount
> >    1,000,000 initial total specified amount
> >           CT state of jurisdiction

If I had to pick one, I'd pick the second, but given
the time we have left I don't want to expand our scope
when I see what follows as the real issue.

> (though that's a good question, which I'll leave to Wendy),
> but rather something like this:
>
>   ------------------left------------------      -----------right------------
>           0 initial term specified amount      Male, Nontobacco, age 45
>   1,000,000 initial total specified amount     23,844.41 guaranteed premium
>          CT state of jurisdiction
>
> so that the same amount of information takes about half as much
> vertical space.

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. Most importantly, I want
Greg's demonstrated '---left---' and '---right---' buckets
for any scalar values above the html table. That achieves
the immediate goal of minimizing vertical space. And if it's
just as easy to assign left- or right-justified attributes
to each individual scalar value, then I'd like that too,
although, that's like "prettying it up", so I don't see it
as necessary as saving the vertical space.

> >> * Configuring 'install' for new *.xml, *.xsd, and *.xsl
> >>
> >> Greg and I use this command to run 'lmi':
> >>   c:/opt/lmi/bin[3]$./lmi_wx_shared.exe --ash_nazg
> --data_path=../data
>
> Indeed we do; yet I have long thought that the relative path
>   --data_path=../data
> is a poor practice and that your suggestion
> > - configurable_settings.xml in Greg's directory (c:/opt/lmi/data):
> or something like that would be better. I guess it ought to be in
> 'configurable_settings.xml'. However, it's not; it's governed by
> 'global_settings.?pp' and mediated by 'data_directory.?pp'. This is
> a throwback to the bad old days when msw application data customarily
> went in the msw 'system' directory; today, it looks in $(pwd) instead,
> but we've never taken the time to rework it thoughtfully, and this
> isn't the best time to do that.
>
> > Now i do realize that if the xslt_directory is not specified or empty
> > then it is treated as a relative path, but the problem is that this
> > path is relative to the executable (current directory) and not to the
> > configurable_settings.xml.
>
> IIRC, it's actually the current $(pwd), which can change while the
> program is running, under msw at least; but one of the C++ files
> mentioned above is supposed to save the original directory at
> startup.
>
> > To workaround it you could specify an absolute path in your
> > configurable_settings.xml. Like so:
> > - configurable_settings.xml in Greg's directory (c:/opt/lmi/data):
> > <configurable_settings>
> >  <xslt_directory>c:/opt/lmi/data</xslt_directory>
> > </configurable_settings>
>
> Wendy, does that work for you,

Yes.

> and would it work for end users?

Not with that specific directory defined, but I think the blank
setting is why I needed my files in the same directory from which
I ran 'lmi'.

I just created my own local distribution with all the appropriate
files, left the setting blank, and successfully ran illustrations
as I normally would, without any problems.

> Or do they have data files in the same directory as the program?

They're in the same directory as the program.

> > Do you think we want to treat relative paths as relative to:
> > 1) the real configurable_settings.xml path
>
> I don't think so. End users are probably accustomed to having the
> application and all its files in one directory.

Yup, that's still true.

This e-mail transmission may contain information that is proprietary,
privileged and/or confidential and is intended exclusively for the person(s) to
whom it is addressed. Any use, copying, retention or disclosure by any person
other than the intended recipient or the intended recipient's designees is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or their designee,
please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies.