lmi

Re: [lmi] Calculation summary speed

From: Evgeniy Tarassov
Subject: Re: [lmi] Calculation summary speed
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:57:12 +0100

On 10/31/06, Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
On 2006-10-31 0:15 UTC, Evgeniy Tarassov wrote:

[speedups include...]
> some modifications applied to xsl templates used to generate html
> and TSV calculation summary output
>
> 1) i have slightly changed the code to read for every ledger value the
> 'calculation_summary' flag from 'format.xml'. The optimisation in C++
> consisted of skipping the most time-costly place -- method that
> formats double vectors into string a vector. The method generates the
> output for a column only if:
> - either the value is explicitly marked by calculation_summary in
> 'format.xml'
> - or the column is in he supplemental_report value set

I think it would be better to use only columns specified in a new
'calculation_summary_columns' entity in 'configurable_settings.xml'.
See:
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lmi/2006-10/msg00064.html

I'm working on this. It will be done this evening (around
20061101T0100Z UTC). The only issue i see that far is the column names
format. You probably don't want to confuse lmi users by using
different culmn names in GUI and in configurable_settings.xml. I guess
it should be the same list of column names. Please correct me if i am
mistaken about it. Example (column names are arbitrary):

<configurable_settings>
 <!-- column names separated by space or new lines -->
 <calculation_summary_colums>
   Outlay AnnGAIntRate_Current TermPurchased_Current
   COICharge_Guaranteed
 </calculation_summary_colums>
</configurable_settings>

I do remember that you have scheduled to change column names used in
lmi GUI, to correspond more to the information contained in format.xml
file.

> All these values are inserted into the output xml if we generate a
> full version of xml (for pdf generation).
> The single double values and string vector values are still included in
> the xml.

Are there so few string-vector values, that conditionally excluding
them wouldn't make it noticeably faster?

I don't remember if i have explicitly tested it, but i think the speed
gain should not be that important if we strip string vectors. I will
do the benchmark and will report the results in here.