lmi

Re: [lmi] Calculation summary speed

From: Evgeniy Tarassov
Subject: Re: [lmi] Calculation summary speed
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 18:06:15 +0200

On 10/23/06, Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
          total  calculate prepare format
old:        175        150       0     25 no xslt: all C++
new:        950        150     300    500 current cvs
modified:   430        150      30    250 cvs + patch below

The "prepare" step became a decimal order of magnitude faster.

Let's try to find a way to make the "format" step dramatically
faster as well. That would be a big win. I'm not saying 250 ms
is an excessive price to pay for flexibility, but I'd much
rather pay less if at all possible.

After some profiling it appears that the 'format' step (on my
platform) breaks into:
320 milliseconds in total
----------
60 milliseconds in C++ code
260 milliseconds in xslt call

After disabling completly a double <xslt:for-each /> loop (the part
that generates the table), the xslt call time dropped to 17
milliseconds.

Currently the columns to be ouput are specified in the same template
html.xsl as a list of nodes and when the table is generated it adds
additional loop over that variable containing column names. If we i
remove that feature and explicitly specify the columns inside the
loop, then the time drops to 170 milliseconds.

But i think its not the final numbers and some performance improvments
could be achieved through our xsl templates optimisation. I will try
to google some additional information on how do they do optimize xslt
and will post back here.