lmi

Re: [lmi] Concinnity test for "xml files"

From: Evgeniy Tarassov
Subject: Re: [lmi] Concinnity test for "xml files"
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:44:57 +0100

On 10/31/06, Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
> Done. Commited yesterday to xml-gnome-branch (20061031T0101Z).

Thanks. Would you mind updating the FSF address, too? I think you
can just copy the license-and-disclaimer block from 'menus.xrc'.
If you put the 'forbidden.make' file emailed separately in the
parent of your source directory, it will complain about
"59 Temple Place" because FSF is no longer at that address.

Yes, fixed it. Thank you for pointing it out!

I see '$Id$" in 'format.xml' (I didn't check the other files).
I think you need "$Id $" with a space for replacement to occur.
I've run into that problem before, myself.

It is strange but i see a keyword being updated in format.xml. I have
checked out a completly fresh copy of xml-gnome-branch to check that
format.xml contains $Id $, and it is being updated. Maybe the change i
made to the cvs substitution mode does not propagate to clients using
that repository and everyone should check out once again these files?
It is only an unsophisticated guess.

BTW, how did you ever get the substitution mode changed?
'ChangeLog' says:
  20061030T1725Z <address@hidden> [1161]
  Change cvs substitution mode to default to '-kkv'. Fix RCS Id again.
  The previous change 20061030T1206Z did not work.
after I had tried repeatedly, without much success. I'd like
to learn the right way to do this.

I'm using the Eclipse platform to work with lmi cvs repository. And it
hides all the cvs related tasks behind a gui. Do you want me to check
in a dummy text file (cvs_substitution_mode_test) into lmi's
repository, change its substitution mode using Eclipse and save the
cvs log?

Oh, and also BTW, another thing I've learned is to run
'make check_concinnity' just before committing anything, and not
to modify even 'ChangeLog' after it runs...try making that target
again and it'll complain about
  Fix line ending to LF. Make files to pass 'make check_concinnity' test.

Fixed it. Thank you very much!

> However there is still one hidden problem with common.xsl and
> tab_delimited.xsl which is not resolved. These files are used to
> produce TSV and any extra-space or an unwanted-LF could break the
> output. Both files were formatted in a way to exclude any possibility
> of such a additional space or LF, but after xmllin reformatted the
> files it is unreadable.

It's painful to think that a 'lint' tool would perform a damaging
transformation, but we can't easily fix the tool ourselves.

My guess is that this transformation should not damage nothing at all
if the xsl template is properly written, so for me its a problem in
our xsl templates and not in the xmllint.

> It should not hold back calculation summary testing because the
> template as it is now should work as intended. Only the readability
> suffers.

If 'xmllint' really just makes '.xsl' files worse, then I guess
we should just write them the way we want, for readability, and
exempt them from the 'xmllint' test. Is there no option for
'xmllint' to make it accept what we want to do, though? It has
dozens of options, and I've never tried to understand them.
Or, if that doesn't work, and the things 'xmllint' dislikes
are limited in scope, we can filter them out of the 'diff'
comparison, so that 'make check_concinnity' will ignore them.

Do you think i could change xsl template later so that they look
pretty? It should not be that much of changes to apply -- more of
studying how exactly xsl works with spaces and some testing.

I dislike the way common.xsl and tab_delimited.xsl are written -- it
something similar to what they do with html files to workaround an
unwanted feature of internet explorer for an html document being
rendered in 'Quirks mode'. The html code that should be written like:
<ul>
 <li>item</li>
 <li>item 2</li>
</ul>
gets some extra spaces after rendering and they used to code it like:
<ul
 ><li>item</li
 ><il>item2</li
</ul>

Which is exactly what is used in common.xsl and tab_delimited.xsl atm.

If you dont mind i would prefer to fix the files (a little bit later),
instead of modifying makefiles.

--
ET