Re: Tuplet brackets do not respect edge skips

From: Gregory Evans
Subject: Re: Tuplet brackets do not respect edge skips
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 09:11:52 -0400

Hi Jean,
Yes this explains my confusion. I was assuming that all of these techniques were equivalent. I will take the time to learn how the different approaches alter the spacing and I will choose what I need.

To answer what I meant about bifurcating the bracket:
You are correct that understanding the underlying code makes this behavior more expected but here is what I thought before your explanation. “No one would ever want the output resulting from puting skips in the tuplets, it’s basically inconsistent music notation.” If the bracket is supposed to avoid the skips (this thought is my fallacy!) Then the result should be s4 * 2/3 \times 2/3 {c'4} s4 * 2/3 \times 2/3 {c'4 c'4} s4 * 2/3 meaning I would expect the brackets to wrap around the non-skips and avoid even the inner skips, which is not the current behavior. What it felt like from the user end was that lilypond was deliberately coercing the bracket to avoid the skips, which I as a user am totally able to do manually, so I didn’t like that feeling. But now understanding that s, \omit Rest, and \hide Rest all work at different times in the engraving process, I now understand that the behavior is not “inconsistent” or “coercive” like I thought. The behavior is merely a cascade from the point in time that the spacing is "ignored". I am sorry that I did not know this, because now it appears somewhat obvious that the commands are not equivalent.

regards,
greg