Re: Tuplet brackets do not respect edge skips

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Tuplet brackets do not respect edge skips
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2023 09:35:37 +0200

Hi,

There are three different ways to have some invisible pause:

  1. s
  2. \once \hide Rest  r
  3. \once \omit Rest  r

None of these are equivalent. A hidden rest is basically just like a normal rest, with all the typesetting done with this normal rest in mind, except that the rest is skipped while doing the final drawing. An omitted rest is a rest, but with its drawing removed earlier during the typesetting phase, so that, for example, its extent does not factor in other things; but it's still a rest that exists. And a skip is the most radical option: from the typesetting point of view, it creates nothing at all. There is no grob associated with a skip.

I don't understand what you mean by a bracket “bifurcating” itself. What should that look like, visually?

To me, the behavior is not so different from beams: you can sometimes see things like

\version "2.24.1"

\fixed c' <<
  { d16[ s d s d s d s d s d s d s d] s }
  \\
  { s16 d[ s d s d s d s d s d s d s d] }

but I have never seen

\version "2.24.1"

\fixed c' <<
  { d16[ s d s d s d s d s d s d s d \once \omit Rest r] }
  \\
  { \once \omit Rest r16[ d s d s d s d s d s d s d s d] }

I can see why “your” behavior can make sense, I'm just explaining why the handling of skips in tuplet brackets is relatively consistent with some other things.

By calling it a bug, I didn't mean to sound aggressive.

No worries, I didn't interpret it so.

Jean