Re: Tuplet brackets do not respect edge skips

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Tuplet brackets do not respect edge skips
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 21:08:44 +0200

> Le 4 juil. 2023 à 18:28, Gregory Evans <gregoryrowlandevans@gmail.com> a
> écrit :
>

> Hi everyone,
> I'm wondering if anyone can explain a lilypond behavior I did not expect. I
> noticed today that tuplet brackets appear over skips in the middle of the
> tuplet but not over skips which appear at the edges of the tuplet. I imagine
> this is a bug since the treatment is inconsistent (i.e. it is not the case
> that tuplet brackets never respect skips), however if this is a desired
> behavior I'd like to learn about it. I'm behind a few versions I think, so
> it's possible the issue has been addressed.

It was expected to me. Maybe I'm influenced by knowing the underlying code,
though. However, I think both could be considered valid (and I don't see what's
inconsistent about the chosen option). Are you asking this because you need the
other behavior, or out of curiosity of surprise? In traditional notation, you
would just put a rest instead of the skip.