Re: Extracting a "score diff" from two [or more] Lilypond sources

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Extracting a "score diff" from two [or more] Lilypond sources
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 10:40:47 -0500

Hi Valentin,

> While it is theoretically possible to compare two streams of music events
> it would also require lots of logic to properly do what we want.

I'm up to the challenge of building that logic!  =)

> One way to achieve what you want could be storing the
> whole history in the  source.

Oof… way too much admin brainpower required for that. I don't know the speed at
which other people compose / arrange / engrave, or the deadlines they're faced
with, but slowing down my creative process in order to write/enter details on
which changes should be communicated to the conductor/performers and which
don't have to be would likely be worse than the current situation (which is me
just manually noting the main changes as I make them, doing a second cursory
pass once the score is "final", and typing up the list to include with the
score).

If I can't make the "compare two music streams" idea work, it really isn't
worth it (for me) to set up a different system which requires any real manual
input/focus.

Thanks,
Kieren.