Re: Entering Chords using Nashville Number System

From: Amelie Protscher
Subject: Re: Entering Chords using Nashville Number System
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 09:30:03 +0100

Hi Valentin, all,

this looks very good, but I have a few questions:

(1) I'm sure nobody will use chords anticipated by 1/32, 1/64, and 1/128
(bars 10, 12, 14). If they're just there for completeness's sake, that's
fine, but stuff like that just never happens.

(2) I don't know what the symbol 7-° stands for (bars 16, 18, 22).
Either the chord is minor, then it has to get a -, or it is diminished,
then it gets a °. They both exclude each other.

(3) Although we are in 4/4 time, bar 24 include 5 dots. That won't work.
If a measure requires dots because of uneven division, it has to get as
many dots as it has counts. A NNS reader would read this as a single
measure of 5/4 time and expect that measure to be surrounded by
parentheses – the usual symbol to denote a single bar of a different
time signature.

(4) Key changes with flats or sharps (as before bar 27) aren't customary
in NNS. Rather, we should print "Key of G-" or "Key of Bb" as a
rehearsal mark.

(5) Ties in NNS are usually only between diamonds, and usually on the
top, not the bottom of the chord symbol.

That's it from my end. Thanks for everything you've done! I'd say 90% of
NNS functionality is present by now!

Warm regards,

Amy

--
Dr. Amelie Protscher (amy@amelieprotscher.com)
Pianist, Bassist, Guitarist, Composer, Friedrich-Ebert-Str. 25, 14548