Re: warning: forced break was overridden by some other event, should you

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: warning: forced break was overridden by some other event, should you be using bar checks?
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 22:32:06 +0000

On 1/12/22, 3:24 PM, "lilypond-user on behalf of Kenneth Wolcott"
<lilypond-user-bounces+carl.d.sorensen=gmail.com@gnu.org on behalf of
kennethwolcott@gmail.com> wrote:

    Yes, disabling line breaks removes the warning.  BTW, repeat volta 0
    is in use; is that relevant?

Why would one use \repeat volta 0?  It seems to make no sense to repeat a chunk
of music 0 times.

    Thanks again,
    Ken

    On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 2:20 PM Kenneth Wolcott
    <kennethwolcott@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Hi;
    >
    >   Is there a bug in the Lilypond parser regarding bar checks?

This isn't a parsing problem, it's an interpretation problem  It shows up after
parsing is completed.

It is somewhere between bars 32 and 40.

It will be somewhere where you have a /break command.

You are trying to break a line where there is music on either side of a break
(e.g. one voice has c1, the other voice has a2 \break a2.)

Bar checks will catch this because you will have some place you think you are
at the end of a bar (and that's where you put the \break), but you aren't
actually at the end of a bar; you're in the middle of a measure with one or the
other voice).

HTH,

Carl