Re: Create custom arpeggio-like engraver

From: Dimitris Marinakis
Subject: Re: Create custom arpeggio-like engraver
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 17:32:01 +0200

Hi Lukas,

Sorry for the confusion. I'll try to explain it better. I avoid overriding the default engravers because I utilise many of them at the same time attached to the same note or context. I cannot afford to modify the default arpeggios because I try to implement things with a bit more flexibility. e.g. I may need a standard arpeggio but also need the customised one (simultaneously). For horizontal spanners this isn't a big issue since David Kastrup created a code that adds as many as needed. But for vertical spanners there aren't many options.

To give a bit more context on why I need a vertical spanner that uses the note positions for its extent. One way of notating accidentals for clusters is to use stretched out accidentals that span the whole cluster. Instead of using lots of manual scale tweaks I'm trying to optimise my process by having Lilypond do the hard work. Now I'll need to experiment with mapping the stencil to the spanner extent which I've done for other kinds of spanners.

This spanner will be used for other things as well so it's good to have options.

I wish we could arbitrarily make spanners that inherit the properties of the default ones but can co-exist with them. Now we have to define the whole alternative engraver from scratch.

Best,
Dimitris

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 4:40 PM Lukas-Fabian Moser <lfm@gmx.de> wrote:
Hi Dimitris,

Am 17.11.21 um 20:50 schrieb Dimitris Marinakis:
> I need a generic engraver that works similar to the default arpeggio
> one but I don't want to override the arpeggio engraver or any other
> default ones in case I need to have multiple events simultaneously.

I'm not sure I understand your rationale.

Even if you need multiple events simultaneously, you can (instead of
overriding) _tweak_ the default arpeggio. This can even be done
conveniently by prefixing your \override with \single.

Or do you want to connect _the same notes_ both by a standard arpeggio
and your modified layout object?

Lukas