Re: Licensing and custom lines

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: Licensing and custom lines
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 15:21:48 +0200

> Am 29.10.2021 um 13:47 schrieb Wol <antlists@youngman.org.uk>:
>

> Copyright exists SEPARATELY in the composition, the arrangement, the
> performance, and the edition.
>> As long as you distribute only engravings (output from LilyPond), there is
>> no assertion in GPL of a need to release source, as described in my answer
>> to Karsten.  You are free to keep the source used for the engraving closed
>> and share it with nobody.
> Because the engraving is a mechanical transformation of the source, I think
> the correct argument is these two are one copyright. And yes, because, IFF it
> is all your own work, then you are under no obligation to share anything, you
> set your own terms, you can share the engraving separately from the source
> with no reference to any other licences.
>
> This also holds true when engraving eg *original* Beethoven - the original
> music is PD, you hold copyright in the engraving ...

That depends on the legislation – it is true for the UK but not e.g. for
Germany.

In your legislation there’s the concept of “sweat of the brow” that serves as
base for copyright in typesetting/engraving.

In Germany there’s no copyright in handicraft, and that includes type design,
typography and musical engraving.
While music publishers claim to have a copyright in the “note image”, that’s
simply not true.

But since there’s a copyright on editions/adaptations, most publishers make
changes to the scores – even if they introduce errors.

> Copyright is a legal hairball - as soon as you start dealing with OTHER
> PEOPLE'S work, there be dragons ...

Yes.

Good luck,
Hraban