Re: Licensing and custom lines

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Licensing and custom lines
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 15:00:38 +0200

Charlie Boilley <boilley.c@outlook.com> writes:

> Dear Lilypond community,
>
> ---
> 1. About GPL licensing, again.
>
> Sorry to bother you, but I'm confused by this :
>
> "All code linked with GPL 3.0 source code must be disclosed under a
> GPL 3.0 compatible license." from the GPL license.

That's utter nonsense and not part of the GPL license.  Where have you
read that since you put it in quote marks?  The GPL does not force you
to disclose anything as long as you don't distribute it (the AGPL is a
bit more complex but that's not relevant for LilyPond).

> And this : https://www.mail-archive.com/lilypond-user@gnu.org/msg136603.html
>
> Then, how can be 100% sure that I can keep :
>
> - my musical work closed source and share it along the license I wany
> by using some scripts from other users or built on snippets ?
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2021-10/msg00398.html

If you distribute code of LilyPond or scripts of others, you have to
heed their intended license.  LilyPond's code will not usually be
integrated into your source.  Code snippets may be a different thing.
Regarding the LilyPond Snippets collection in the manuals, there is

    LilyPond — Snippets
    *******************

    This document shows a selected set of LilyPond snippets from the
    LilyPond Snippet Repository (http://lsr.di.unimi.it) (LSR). It is in the
    public domain.

> - when sharing scripts with other users ?
>
> - when dev. creative scripts in or linked to Lily that are part of my
> composition as "musical objects primitives" : code that will generate
> Lily code ?

What are you concretely talking about?  Obviously there is no "if it is
LilyPond code, it is free for the taking" guarantee: you have to look at
who is providing you with what code under which conditions.

--
David Kastrup