Re: Questions From a New User

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: Questions From a New User
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 13:08:24 +0100

> Am 30.10.2020 um 12:24 schrieb Damien Garwood <damien@daygar.plus.com>:
>
> So far, we have been using MIDI to hear our scores back, but since MIDI is an
> events-only system, does that accurately reflect how the score looks? For
> instance, articulations wouldn't be able to be replicated in MIDI, nor would
> the tons of different barlines (still another thing that threw us).

Hi Damien,

you can use

\include "articulate.ly"

in the header and

\articulate

in the MIDI section of your score to get *some* articulations hearable.

See http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/the-articulate-script

Since that e.g. shortens notes, don’t use it for the printed output!

In case you aren’t aware: It generally makes sense to store voices or other
parts of music in variables and put them together in a \score. You should use
two \score sections, each including only \layout or \midi.

Have fun,
Hraban