Re: Questions From a New User

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: Questions From a New User
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 08:19:32 +0100 (CET)

MIDI output from LilyPond is usually the way one would be able to listen to their score.

While MusicXML can be converted *to* LilyPond, the reverse is not possible to my knowledge. There is an open issue [2] filed requesting a MusicXML backend to LilyPond, which would enable it to output that format.

[2]: https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/665

There have been attempts to export lilypond *to* MusicXML:

        https://github.com/Philomelos/lilypond-ly2musicxml

But last commit was 8 years ago I think. Maybe there are more recent attempts going on elsewhere?

More usabable is the MusicXML export that is provided by python-ly using the ly command, but it is still quite buggy.

        https://python-ly.readthedocs.io/en/latest/command.html

Frescobaldi uses python-ly and has an "export as MusicXML" option, but you first have to enable experimental features in the preferences to see the option.

--

MT