Re: LilyPond learning curve (was: feasibilty question: simple GUI for we

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: LilyPond learning curve (was: feasibilty question: simple GUI for web-based Lilypond instance)
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 17:41:47 +0000

On Sun, 2020-10-25 at 18:21 +0100, Martín Rincón Botero wrote:
> I wonder if you realise that you do not have to look at "Denemo's
> GUI"
> - that is, you can set all of the menus, palettes etc hidden and just
> use the pc keyboard and a MIDI keyboard to enter notes, rests etc and
> then press a key to export the LilyPond syntax for the part you just
> entered.
>
> I didn’t know that. I guess I’ll try that later, although without
> palettes I fail to imagine what the “GUI experience” would be.

I don't know if you would call it a "GUI experience", what you are left
with is an instant display of the notes you have entered (and indeed a
sounding of their pitch) which helps avoid wrong notes, wrong octaves
etc. Well, you get a bit more - you get to see if you've left a bar un-
filled or overstuffed or if your slur isn't terminated, and so on. But
the menus are really only there for you to choose which things you want
to set keyboard shortcuts for.
Oh, and you can re-shape slurs with the mouse in the PDF that LilyPond
creates...

Richard