Re: LilyPond learning curve (was: feasibilty question: simple GUI for we

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: LilyPond learning curve (was: feasibilty question: simple GUI for web-based Lilypond instance)
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 16:37:12 +0000

On Sun, 2020-10-25 at 17:10 +0100, Martín Rincón Botero wrote:
> > I've never been sure why someone hasn't shown an interest in doing
> > that...
> >

> I myself have to respectfully say that I can't stand looking at
> Denemo's GUI. I haven't been able to keep it installed for more than
> 30 seconds for this reason.

I wonder if you realise that you do not have to look at "Denemo's GUI"
- that is, you can set all of the menus, palettes etc hidden and just
use the pc keyboard and a MIDI keyboard to enter notes, rests etc and
then press a key to export the LilyPond syntax for the part you just
entered. All you see is a (crude) typesetting of the notes as you enter
them, which enables you to keep track of the music you have entered.
In recompense you get a method of entering music in the time it takes
to play it twice (and, of course, if it is slow music, you can play it
in faster than you would perform it).

Richard Shann