Re: LilyPond learning curve (was: feasibilty question: simple GUI for we

From: Martín Rincón Botero
Subject: Re: LilyPond learning curve (was: feasibilty question: simple GUI for web-based Lilypond instance)
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 17:10:04 +0100

I've never been sure why someone hasn't shown an interest in doing
that...

I myself have to respectfully say that I can't stand looking at Denemo's GUI. I haven't been able to keep it installed for more than 30 seconds for this reason.

Am So., 25. Okt. 2020 um 17:04 Uhr schrieb Richard Shann <richard@rshann.plus.com>:
On Sun, 2020-10-25 at 10:58 -0400, Marc Shepherd wrote:
> LP is indeed better — in that its default decisions are almost always
> better than Finale’s default. The price you pay is that an LP score
> is considerably more time-consuming to enter. Although I expect to
> get better at it over time, I don’t think that disadvantage can ever
> go away entirely.
There is a way to generate LilyPond syntax for music much faster than
can be done with the MuseScore, Sib, Fin programs, by the combination
of entering rhythms followed by MIDI keyboard to add the pitches as in
the Denemo GUI. The only bit that is lacking in Denemo is export of the
music in LilyPond syntax to a file - you wouldn't want Denemo's own
export if you were going to work on the LilyPond syntax by hand - but
that would be just a short Scheme script once you had decided on your
work flow.
I've never been sure why someone hasn't shown an interest in doing
that...

Richard Shann

--
www.martinrinconbotero.com