Re: LilyPond learning curve (was: feasibilty question: simple GUI for we

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: LilyPond learning curve (was: feasibilty question: simple GUI for web-based Lilypond instance)
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2020 11:17:28 -0400

Hi Marc,

> I tried LP several years ago and quickly gave up. I decided to try it again
> because I was frustrated with all of the manual adjustments my Finale scores
> require, and wanted to see if LP could do better.

I used Finale from v1 [!!] in 1988 to Finale 2000. I gave up at that point —
too many frustrations!! — and started looking for an alternative.

> The price you pay is that an LP score is considerably more time-consuming to
> enter. Although I expect to get better at it over time, I don’t think that
> disadvantage can ever go away entirely.

With Frescobaldi — especially the MIDI keyboard input — I believe I can now
enter music faster than I ever could in Finale (and I was *very* fast). If the
music doesn’t repeat at all, I’d say I am 5%-10% faster than I was at my Finale
peak; when I can reuse material (which is VERY often, in the types of music I
engrave), that percentage goes up.

Of course, the real savings comes (as you imply) once the data is in: my
tweaking time is ~5% TOTAL of what I used to put in with Finale (and what I
still see my colleagues and friends putting in with Fin/Sib/etc., though Dorico
is much better).

> I am typesetting an opera score, which is clearly not the easiest place to
> start—but that is what I do. I am guessing that whoever designed LP was not
> thinking of orchestral scores

Agreed. As a composer of operas, musicals, orchestra pieces, and other
large-forces works, I feel your pain!  =)

> some things that ought to be easy (the “MarkLine” concept) are in fact quite
> difficult.

These are the kinds of things I believe we could improve upon more easily and
quickly (or at least with more obvious incentive?!) if the user base was
larger. And — like it or not — a real critical mass like that will require a
GUI.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)