openLilyLib website

From: Urs Liska
Subject: openLilyLib website
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 22:44:23 +0100

Hi all,

as a starting point for a - hopefully - comprehensive documentation
effort I have finally updated https://openlilylib.org with a completely
new website, which I'd like to have some feedback about and
contributions for.

There are several parts to that effort, most of which are essentially
not started yet.

 * A general introduction website. This is basically complete and
   should finally give a proper introduction about what OLL "is" and
   how it can be made to work
 * Independent sub-sites for each OLL package. These have not been
   written at all, only the links to empty starting pages work without
   404 errors.
 * I've settled with MkDocs (https://www.mkdocs.org), which seems to
   provide what I need, especially a suitable way to hook into and
   extend to our needs.
 * Each sub-site is maintained in a separate Git repository and
   included as a Git submodule, so it should be straightforward to
   manage independent authoring of the documentation by the respective
   package maintainers.
 * There's a link to a contributor's guide, which is also essentially
   empty, except for an entry page.

What I have so far is an infrastructure for textual, Markdown-authored
manuals, although I have already created a plugin for LilyPond syntax
highlighting using python-ly (
https://github.com/uliska/markdown-lilypond/).

What I really *want* to have but have no idea so far how to achieve is
additional code/API documentation retrieved from the actual source
files. There should be a tool to retrieve that from comments (or actual
signatures?), resulting in either HTML or Markdown documentation that
can be automatically integrated in the "manual-style" documentation.

Best
Urs