Re: How to auto print empty measures?

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: How to auto print empty measures?
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 14:50:08 -0800

On 2018-12-28 2:01 pm, Reggie wrote:
Kieren and David I think you don't understand I believe the poster wanted to see blank music ahead of engraving like the other program software does. Not
simple to just hide and unfold that's not quite the same thing.

LilyPond prints precisely as much music as you provide. If you only input a few notes, then that is all you will (and should) get.

If you require additional empty space, simply use the spacer rest. For instance, "s1*10" will result in the space equivalent to ten whole notes.

You can use simultaneous music to make this process very clear. Consider:

%%%%
  << \new Staff \repeat unfold 4 \relative c' { c4 d e f | g a b c }
     \new Staff << \relative c' { c8 d e f g } \\ { s1*8 } >> >>
%%%%

Here we have a second staff with only five quavers for the time being, and we would like the staff to extend as long as the eight measures above. The << \\ >> construct makes it easy to independently specify the notes for display as well as the desired overall duration.

-- Aaron Hill