Re: mutopia's shortcomings

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: mutopia's shortcomings
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 15:18:59 +0200

Am 24.04.2015 um 12:43 schrieb Federico Bruni:
> Seems to me it has been quite successful in its goals of making sheet music easily available for free, all works in the public domain or under creative commons licenses, in (user-editable, user-improvable) LilyPond format, pdf, and midi — all with volunteer labor.  Looks like the total is over 1900 works now.

Other than the “user-editable, user-improvable” issue, all of those things are far better done by IMSLP. Put another way, looking at IMSLP (with 310,000 scores) and Mutopia (with 1,900), the shine quickly comes off Mutopia for anyone except the handful of hardcore DIY musicians who (e.g.,) want to take a violin piece from Mutopia and make a guitar arrangement.

You forgot the quality of sheets: a (really) digital PDF will always look better than a scanned PDF.
I think it depends: firstly, many IMSLP scores are on a level of typographical quality which – I’m sorry – Lilypond might never reach. And if scan quality is not too low, I do fancy the more soft, mellow look of scans from hand-engraved scores.

Yours, Simon