Re: Do we really offer the future?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Do we really offer the future?
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 14:30:58 +0200

Hi David AND ALL OTHERS

Am 23.04.2015 um 20:06 schrieb David Nalesnik:
If you wish a lily-feature not yet available.
1. Look into our bug-tracker. Maybe there is an issue for it already.
You may want to comment there.
2. If not, mail to our bug-list requesting this feature. This way it
does not get lost.

No guarantee that anyone will work on it, though. Our amount of
developers is very limited.
Also, very often other problems are more pressing. Right now: our
bug-tracker will shut down and we need to move to guilev2 (no warrant
for completeness...)

If you are a programmer, have coding-experience or even only a good
knowledge of standard-LilyPond.
Please consider what you may be able to contribute.
A patch?
Answering user-request?

All that would help.

Please, please, pretty please.  The activity on the lists is excellent--what a great community to be part of!  However, the number of people who contribute to the codebase is incredibly small--frighteningly small for anyone who loves this program and wants to see it survive and prosper, as we all do!

Take a look here to see development activities, how few people are actively involved:  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=summary

If you have a great idea, please consider working on it yourself.  Especially if you self-identify as a programmer--and I suspect there are plenty who frequent the lists.  I say this because there's a good chance your good idea will go absolutely nowhere otherwise.

(Please take this as a plea for more help with the project!  It is not intended to downplay the efforts by the contributors to this thread.)

Best,
David

We are discussing so much right now, it would be really a pity if very little or even nothing would emerge from this. I can only second David's plea. If everybody who participates/d in one or more of the current discussions would "adopt" at least one topic, how small it is, we'd already have some giid outcome.

If you aren't a programmer don't hesitate to do soemthing different. Several topic have appeared that would require compiling lists of information or wishes or roadmaps - this is something that non-developers could do and put on a Wiki page somewhere.
Or: it would be very good if someone could take the responsibility to go through the discussion threads and "harvest" anything interesting so no good ideas or complaints get lost.. This could also be put on a Wiki page somewhere.

Urs