Re: mutopia's shortcomings

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: mutopia's shortcomings
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 23:58:04 +0200

Am 20.04.2015 um 22:29 schrieb address@hidden:
In another thread, it seemed like common knowledge that Mutopia has some serious flaws.
Could someone fill me on on what the (most important if there's a whole slew) problems are?
I think it’s mainly three problems:
– Lilypond versions, as Paul already mentioned.
– Coding style: the lilypond code I saw till now from Mutopia mostly gave me a real headache, because it was excessively hard to read, inefficient or hacky. Which makes reusing it an unpleasant experience.
– Visual quality of the output: Many of the scores very effectively display that using Lilypond does not warrant making beautiful scores, if you ask me. This might also be due to ancient Lily versions being used, but mainly it’s because Lilypond output only starts to look really pleasing when you increase paper margins, (use another text font – though that’s likely my personal point of view), manually improve page and line breaking etc. etc. That is to say, you need a proper understanding of typographical quality yourself – it’s not much one needs to do, actually, since most things are handled very well, but some things are important /in my eyes/.

That’s what I’d call the main problems…

Yours, Simon