Re: adding engravers

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: adding engravers
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 17:43:52 +0100

Hi David,

thanks for patiently answering my mail.

> like \music copying a music variable, \Staff copies a context
> definition.  The salient point is that this context definition contains
> a \name "Staff", so without overriding \name (which is perfectly
> feasible), the new definition will get stored back into \Staff again.

Ok, that's what happens internally. But do I have to care and understand
all that as a user? A user might want all his scores without bar
numbers. The recommended way is to remove the corresponding engraver.
That makes sense. Why does he have to know about \Staff and the
difference to Staff (as in \new Staff)?

If found
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/defining-new-contexts
and I see that this is a powerful syntax. Still I think, the basic
functions of adding and removing engravers to/from their default context
could become easier for newbies (like me who uses LP only for 10 years
now) – in addition to the powerful syntax.

>> \layout {
>>   \consists Staff.Ambitus_engraver
>> }
>
> That would only make any kind of sense if you could actually write
> \consists Staff.Ambitus_engraver also in mid-music.

What is the connection? I would not expect this just because the syntax
to \override is similar.

I know that your are reluctant towards such changes and mostly for good
reasons. In this case the explanation didn't convince me fully so far.
But ok.

Cheers,
Joram