Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 20:09:13 +0600

Am 2013-12-01 um 15:26 schrieb Urs Liska <address@hidden>:

> I think it hasn't been stressed enough yet that the text input by itself is a
> huge hurdle. I mean, not the syntax but the plain fact.
> If you're looking at a real-world score's input file it's overwhelmingly
> daunting. And if you look at { c d e f g } like examples they aren't at all
> overwhelming.
> Most people I tried to persuade simply said "this isn't my cup of tea, I'm
> not a programmer“.

Hm, my ex-girlfriend was a fiddler in an Irish Folk band. She was used to note
her tunes like „c d e f“ anyway and had no big hurdles with the LilyPond
template I made for her. Don’t know if she still uses LilyPond, though ;-)

But most other people I know (that write notes at all), are content with the
default quality of Finale (price is not a problem if you don’t care about
legality) or even (I forgot the name of that crappy Windows-only program).

Myself I used to use Myriad Harmony Assistant until 2006 (a first try with
LilyPond some years before failed, because I couldn’t get it to compile on
Linux PPC; the same with MusiXTeX’s preprocessors); „Harmony“ has great MIDI
output (I still miss it), a convoluted interface and rather poor notation - but
still better that the competition in its price range; AFAIR I chose it since it
could output PS/PDF, others had only bitmaps.

I guess „we“ have a chance in combination with TeX, i.e. at universities etc.
where TeX is in broad use, since the approach and needed expertise is similar.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
fiëé visuëlle
Henning Hraban Ramm