Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Supporting my work on LilyPond financially
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 05:51:13 -0500

Hi David,

>> 1. A real, live, useable, full-functioned GUI
> According to the advertising, that's Denemo.

Perhaps when I’ve got a little time to spare, I’ll give that a look — if it’s
really all that, it might become part of my standard “proselytizing” package.

> "LilyPond for output only" is not much of a goal: it buys us bug reports
> without buying us a community interested in working with and on LilyPond.

Ah, but you’re ignoring the “virus” factor: if enough people depend on Lilypond
for output, an interested community arises to support it.
Right now, “nobody” depends on Lilypond for output, so there is — as you say —
no community interested in working with and on it.

> MusicXML export/import or even input/output is definitely something
> needed for a variety of reasons.

We should start with “perfect" export/import — even that (IMO) would turn the
tide significantly, perhaps even decisively, in Lily's favour.

Cheers,
Kieren.