Re: Advocating non-free softwares [WAS: Heads up about Frescobaldi & Ubu

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Advocating non-free softwares [WAS: Heads up about Frescobaldi & Ubuntu - Insert Menu Glitch]
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:39:07 -0800

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 10:03:30AM +0100, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Come to think of it, do we say something about the choice of operating
> system?  We don't do that on the download pages, we present them as
> equal choices.
>
> Why don't we say something on the download pages like:

-snip-

The download page is not a place for OS advocacy.  No user is
going to think "hmm, this lilypond thing sounds interesting.
Maybe I should download it.  Oh look, a chunk of text that isn't
relevant to the task at hand.  I love reading irrelevant text!  oh
my goodness, apparently other operating systems are more free than
my current one.  I guess I'd better start backing up all my data
so that I can switch to a new OS".

The website is (mostly) streamlined, presenting just enough info
to the user to answer the immediate question at each stage of the
process.  I don't mind if you want to expand the
Introduction->Freedom page, but I am very wary of adding material
elsewhere unless it's absolutely necessary.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add,
but when there is nothing left to remove" - paraphrased of a
translation from original French by Antoine St-Exuberie (sp).

- Graham