Re: Advocating non-free softwares [WAS: Heads up about Frescobaldi &Ubun

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Advocating non-free softwares [WAS: Heads up about Frescobaldi &Ubuntu - Insert Menu Glitch]
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 14:17:14 -0000

David Kastrup wrote Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:17 PM

> Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Why don't we say something on the download pages like:
>>
>>    Free systems: GNU/Linux, FreeBSD ...  {we even say: UNIX, ugh!?}
>>
>>    We encourage you to use a free operating system.
>>
>>    We provide compatibility and binaries for [these] non-free
>>    operating systems for your convenience.  Our respect for you and
>>    your choice of operating system should not be mistaken for an
>>    endorsement of that software.
>
> Hm.  And using GNU/Linux would be inconvenient?  That sounds like "no
> love for you heathens".  Erecting a fence and making stern faces.  When
> our actual goal is to make users aware of the fences _others_ put around
> them.

Yes

> Let me try:
>
> LilyPond is Free Software: it is developed in a spirit of cooperation,
> with every user being allowed to copy the software, study its sources,
> improve it or let it be improved and pass on his changes.  For its
> operation, LilyPond depends on several other Free Software components
> developed in similar spirit.  We bundle versions of other Free Software
> components along with LilyPond for the sake of users of closed and
> proprietary systems like MacOSX and Windows, providing the minimal
> island of Free Software required for LilyPond to even run.  Setting up
> an environment for more than just copying and running the software,
> however, is not feasible on such systems.
>
> Finding, installing, updating and maintaining other software that
> cooperates well with LilyPond as well as joining a helpful community for
> improving this environment and helping each other is easier when using
> free operating systems fostering this cooperation.
>
> If you find you enjoy working with LilyPond and its community, chances
> are that working with the Free Systems where it is at home will become
> rewarding to you.
>
> Ok, too long.

Yes. Here's a slightly edited down version:

LilyPond is Free Software: every user is allowed to copy, develop and
distribute it, as well as just run it.  For its operation, LilyPond depends
on several other Free Software components, developed in a similar cooperative
spirit, which are bundled with LilyPond to provide the minimal island of Free
Software required for LilyPond to run on closed and proprietary systems like
MacOSX and Windows.

LilyPond is developed in a spirit of cooperation.  Finding, installing,
updating,
maintaining or just using other Free Software components that cooperate well
with LilyPond is easier when using Free Operating Systems which foster this
cooperation.

If you find you enjoy working with LilyPond and its community, you are
likely to find that working with the Free Systems where it is at home equally
rewarding.

Trevor