Advocating non-free softwares [WAS: Heads up about Frescobaldi & Ubuntu

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Advocating non-free softwares [WAS: Heads up about Frescobaldi & Ubuntu - Insert Menu Glitch]
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 10:03:30 +0100

Francois Planiol writes:

> No idea... I just begun to use the last realease of frescobaldi under
> [a freedom-limiting operating system] and this is just fantastic.

Thanks for your encouraging words about Frescobaldi.

Could you please be more aware and more careful about advocating the use
of non-free operating systems?

Come to think of it, do we say something about the choice of operating
system?  We don't do that on the download pages, we present them as
equal choices.

Why don't we say something on the download pages like:

   Free systems: GNU/Linux, FreeBSD ...  {we even say: UNIX, ugh!?}

   We encourage you to use a free operating system.

   We provide compatibility and binaries for [these] non-free operating
   systems for your convenience.  Our respect for you and your choice of
   operating system should not be mistaken for an endorsement of that
   software.

Greetings, Jan

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl