Re: new procedure with GitLab CI

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: new procedure with GitLab CI
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 11:48:12 +0200

Am Freitag, den 29.05.2020, 19:22 +0200 schrieb Han-Wen Nienhuys:
> On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 7:04 PM Valentin Villenave <valentin@villenave.net>
> wrote:
> > On 5/27/20, Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> wrote:
> > > No, "rebase" is currently manual (with "merge when pipeline succeeds"
> > > being automatic). This has been clearly communicated, sorry if you
> > > missed that.
> >
> > Hey Jonas, hey everybody;
> > just so you know, I’m getting increasingly frustrated -- as you may
> > ..
> > -- The need to let the pipeline run every time an MR branch is
>
> I concur that this is problematic. Today, I spent several hours
> shepherding my multiple MRs through the process, which was
> additionally complicated by David and Valentin doing the same.

There were 10 merges yesterday, for 11 patches that were in
Patch::push. How about we also use the second day for merging?

> Could we increase parallelism on the runners, so they complete more
> quickly? If we dial up the build speed, so they take only 10 minutes
> instead of 40 minutes, merging will be much less painful. I have
> several changes out that will increase parallelism the doc build.

The shared runners only have a single core, so there's not much to
gain. Our own runners are somewhat faster, but with only Davide and me
adding our laptops (which we also need for our own work) that's not
gonna help much.

Jonas