Re: GitLab access

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: GitLab access
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 09:30:43 +0200

Hi Aaron,

Am Mittwoch, den 27.05.2020, 23:59 -0700 schrieb Aaron Hill:
> On 2020-05-27 11:14 pm, Jonas Hahnfeld wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, den 27.05.2020, 16:53 +0200 schrieb Valentin Villenave:
> > > On 5/27/20, Aaron Hill <
> > > lilypond@hillvisions.com
> > >
> > > Hear hear!  But as I said, helping out on the lists is certainly not
> > > less worthy as a way of contributing.

> > > OK, so now you should be able to send a membership request directly
> > > from GitLab (I’m CCing Jonas just so he knows whom it’s coming from).
> >
> > Okay, so are you asking for Reporter permission to primarily manage
> > issue reports or for Developer to actually merge code yourself? Note
> > that submitting MRs is possible even without that level of permission.
> > (Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere in the thread, I haven't
> > checked all messages very closely.)
>
> That was what I had suspected, that no special permissions are needed to
> contribute issues and/or merge requests.  I certainly would not be
> asking for anything beyond that level at this time.
>
> Perhaps all the eagerness around getting the project and team set up
> with GitLab has put the proverbial cart before the horse here.  (Or I
> have grossly misinterpreted Valentin's intentions.)

please don't get me wrong: I don't want to deny you any permission to
collaborate more easily. That's simply not my job, I just happen to be
one of the persons with Owner permissions and probably the one with
most experience about GitLab right now.

> The question I see at this point is whether the project is in a
> particular need of additional members for managing the various facets of
> the repository.  It would appear there are sufficient people, but that
> is my outsider view.  That would give me pause to reconsider pursuing
> membership, seeing as I do not want to intrude on anything, especially
> if my voice would only add to the cacophony.
>
> In some ways, this is akin to a job interview--determining whether the
> candidate is a good fit for the job just as much as the company is a
> good fit for the candidate.  It is counter-productive for me to use my
> time and talents to fill a role that does not need filling.  Similarly,
> it would be unwise for me to work a job I am ill-suited for despite the
> desire to fill that position.

My 2 cents on this one: Every community always needs more members /
collaborators / whatever you call it 😉 there's never a "job" to fill
, but always work to do.

Jonas