Re: GitLab access

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: GitLab access
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 23:59:57 -0700

On 2020-05-27 11:14 pm, Jonas Hahnfeld wrote:
Am Mittwoch, den 27.05.2020, 16:53 +0200 schrieb Valentin Villenave:
On 5/27/20, Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com> wrote:
> I probably could have been (or rather should
> be) submitting patches for consideration.

Hear hear!  But as I said, helping out on the lists is certainly not
less worthy as a way of contributing.

> I went ahead and linked my GitHub with GitLab, so I am @seraku24 on both
> sites.

OK, so now you should be able to send a membership request directly
from GitLab (I’m CCing Jonas just so he knows whom it’s coming from).

Okay, so are you asking for Reporter permission to primarily manage
issue reports or for Developer to actually merge code yourself? Note
that submitting MRs is possible even without that level of permission.
(Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere in the thread, I haven't
checked all messages very closely.)

That was what I had suspected, that no special permissions are needed to contribute issues and/or merge requests. I certainly would not be asking for anything beyond that level at this time.

Perhaps all the eagerness around getting the project and team set up with GitLab has put the proverbial cart before the horse here. (Or I have grossly misinterpreted Valentin's intentions.)

The question I see at this point is whether the project is in a particular need of additional members for managing the various facets of the repository. It would appear there are sufficient people, but that is my outsider view. That would give me pause to reconsider pursuing membership, seeing as I do not want to intrude on anything, especially if my voice would only add to the cacophony.

In some ways, this is akin to a job interview--determining whether the candidate is a good fit for the job just as much as the company is a good fit for the candidate. It is counter-productive for me to use my time and talents to fill a role that does not need filling. Similarly, it would be unwise for me to work a job I am ill-suited for despite the desire to fill that position.

-- Aaron Hill