Re: [RFC] Enabling GitLab CI

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: [RFC] Enabling GitLab CI
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 22:36:20 +0200

Am Sonntag, den 17.05.2020, 16:10 -0400 schrieb Dan Eble:
> On May 17, 2020, at 15:27, Jonas Hahnfeld <address@hidden> wrote:
> > if we want to get faster builds, we can always add our own machines.
> > That is a matter of installing Docker and the runner (packages provided
> > by GitLab). Configuration is as simple as running one command and
> > pasting the URL as well as a token.
>
> How much routine network traffic will the runner generate?  Obviously, it
> will need to pull the Docker image when it is updated, and that will happen
> occasionally, but I'm more curious about the building & testing itself.  Will
> there be large logs or build artifacts sent back to GitLab or otherwise
> served to people browsing the project?
>
> I might be willing to plug in a cheap, headless computer to crank through
> patches night and day, but probably not if it will upload GBs of results.

Obviously the builder needs to git-fetch the repo. Additionally the
current configuration uploads all untracked files after the build step
for usage in both test and doc. By disabling debug information, this is
only 22 MB in size with at most 1x upload plus 2x download (not sure if
it would cache locally). If this is of concern, we can of course fuse
the three stages without artifacts in between.

All log files (pure text) are uploaded to gitlab.com and served from
there. After a build is finished, the builder serves no state. Also
note that the runner contacts the server, ie no trouble with firewalls
/ NAT / dynamic IPs et al.

Regards
Jonas