Re: Use GhostScript API instead of forking (issue 548030043 by address@h

From: v . villenave
Subject: Re: Use GhostScript API instead of forking (issue 548030043 by address@hidden)
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 14:58:47 -0700

On 2020/05/01 12:12:40, dak wrote:
> That being said, the situation regarding Scorio, a proprietary entity
using Free
> Software as a component of delivering a web-based service with
non-disclosed
> components, is _exactly_ the reason Artifex chose the AGPL as a basis
for their
> business model selling commercial Ghostscript licenses.

And since there is no (as far as I know) contractual, or even simply
practical, obligation tying us to Scorio, this is _also_ exactly why
LilyPond itself ought to follow the same way IMO.

Relicensing LilyPond as AGPL for the future 2.22 branch (or even 3.0 if
that, combined with all current optimization work, may be as good a
reason as any for a major version bump) should be on a the table, even
independently of the GhostScript situation. (That goes for many
free-software programs actually, which date back from before the SaaS
trend and should now consider switching to AGPL; there even were some
talks of merging AGPL into GPLv4 in the future, though the past few
months have put many things on hold.)

Sure, that’d mean getting consent from as many contributors as we can
track down, but history has proved us it’s quite achievable -- remember
the move to GPLv3? It was basically hand-waved with a "are there any
objections? Counting once, counting twice, sold."

Just my two cents; carry on.

V.

https://codereview.appspot.com/548030043/