Re: problem with predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: problem with predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly?
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 17:44:03 +0200

Wols Lists <address@hidden> writes:

> On 18/07/19 15:42, David Kastrup wrote:
>>> But provided the bottom string is part of the chord, it doesn't really
>
>> An inversion is an inversion.  Guitar chords tend to be comparatively
>> nonchalant about them except for the root note, and that's what we are
>> talking about here.
>
> Isn't the whole point of an inversion that the root isn't at the bottom?
> At least that's what I remember from my music theory.

Well, it's more a matter of "voicing" than of "inversion" with a guitar
since mapping chords to notes is different on a fretboard instrument
than on a keyboard instrument (I don't want to discuss clavichords
here).

> So a C-chord using all six strings is a first inversion - the 3rd of
> the chord is at the bottom. Which probably does sound not too good on
> its own ...

It actually sounds awful.  The lowest note sort-of determines what you'd
call the equivalent of an inversion on a guitar.

--
David Kastrup