Re: problem with predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: problem with predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly?
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 14:37:16 +0000

On 7/17/19, 6:55 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of David Kastrup"
<lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=address@hidden on behalf of address@hidden>
wrote:

    James <address@hidden> writes:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I saw arecent update by a LP user to an 'already-fixed' tracker
    >
    > <https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/3290/>
    >
    > That made it into my inbox thus:
    >
    > On 06/07/2019 21:54, Christopher Heckman wrote:
    >> It's isn't just the website; the boards for augmented and diminished
    >> chords are calculated incorrectly.
    >>
    >> \include "predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly"
    >> \new FretBoards \chordmode { b:dim f:aug aes:aug g:dim }
    >>
    >> The F aug chord is incorrect; it actually shows a G augmented
    >> chord.

    >> In all four cases, the numbers at the bottom do not match up with the
    >> diagram. The B dim number should be 2343, the A flat aug 032110, and
    >> G dim should be 3131.

    This is just a misunderstanding of the numbers: they are not fret
    numbers but fingering numbers.  It is a bit unusual that they are
    present by default: typically players are expected to figure them out on
    their own, and sometimes they are just inscribed in the dots.

I agree with David's assessment that the reporter misunderstood the numbers,
which are fingering numbers.  The presence or absence of fingering numbers is a
house style decision.   Most of the popular music piano/guitar/vocal books that
I have use finger numbers; they are about equally split between having the
numbers at the bottom of the diagram  and having numbers in the dots.

    f:aug is clearly wrong, aes:aug has the right notes but the root note is
    awkward, not being the lowest.  I have no idea how guitarists would feel
    about that.

The diagrams and fingerings came from my reference "The Big Gig Bag Book of
Guitar Chords".  I don't have enough experience to vouch for the diagrams; I
just copied the information.  I would be happy to replace any diagrams with
correct diagrams as reported by somebody with more expertise than me.

Thanks,

Carl