Re: problem with predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: problem with predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly?
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 14:43:09 +0000

On 7/18/19, 8:34 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Wols Lists"
<lilypond-devel-bounces+c_sorensen=address@hidden on behalf of address@hidden>
wrote:

    On 17/07/19 13:55, David Kastrup wrote:
    > f:aug is clearly wrong, aes:aug has the right notes but the root note is
    > awkward, not being the lowest.  I have no idea how guitarists would feel
    > about that.

    As a classical guitarist, I think there is a notation for "don't use
    this string" (for example, the chord of C uses strings 1-5, but 6 is an
    E so that's okay).

Correct.  We use an x to indicate a non-played (muted) string.

    But provided the bottom string is part of the chord, it doesn't really
    matter. After all, chords are quite often inverted in other music too, no?

This is my experience with a number of chord diagrams on the guitar, especially
as we move away from the pop music common major, minor, dominant7 chords.

Thanks,

Carl