Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4076 in lilypond: allow bn for B-natural in En

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 4076 in lilypond: allow bn for B-natural in English
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 07:54:03 +0000

Comment #19 on issue 4076 by address@hidden: allow bn for B-natural in English

I'll have to re-arrange into two commits so that the change clearly shows 'cn' being added alongside 'c', and also ask on -user to see if anyone would use this other than the original requester.

Not all English speakers want a 'bn', although I do think all English speakers would say both words "B-natural" when referring to the note in tonal music in a mode like F major. So the way we speak to each other allows two interpretations of what the name 'B' means: the specific pitch or generic scale-step. The noun-adjective form of the English names allows for the mental model that 'B' is the name of something that can be either sharp or natural or flat (though I wonder why this is not more of an issue in French).