Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 687 in lilypond: Enhancement: inequal MIDI qua

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 687 in lilypond: Enhancement: inequal MIDI quantization of equal durations (swing, rubato)
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 16:20:13 +0000

Comment #33 on issue 687 by address@hidden: Enhancement: inequal MIDI quantization of equal durations (swing, rubato)

Well, I suppose so ;-)

It looks very promising, although I haven't looked at it yet in
detail.  I would like to know whether it takes into account all the
points I raised in comments #6 and #15, and in particular whether it
is capable of coping with the Viennese waltz lilt example.

Another question is whether this interface allows the degree of swing
to be easily parametrized, and set either manually, or as a function
of the current tempo.  In jazz, swing tends to become more pronounced
(i.e. closer to an exact 2:1 triplet) at lower tempi and straighter at
higher tempi (e.g. 3:2, 4:3, 5:4 etc.), but it is typically the
reverse for samba - a lower tempo might use something like 6:5:5:6 and
a faster one might use something like 3:2:2:3.  I don't think it's
ideal to force the average lilypond user to have to do these
mathematical calculations themselves in order to obtain the right
degree of swing.  They should just be able to say "make it jazzy" and
then specify a number on a sliding scale.  That's why I proposed the
quadruplets syntax in comment #6: the 4th integer in each quadruplet
which represents the degree of displacement can be trivially
multiplied by a weighting factor to give this sliding scale.