Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2883 in lilypond: Patch: Make arguments like C

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2883 in lilypond: Patch: Make arguments like Context.GrobName accessible as symbol lists
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 10:24:24 +0000

Comment #24 on issue 2883 by address@hidden: Patch: Make arguments like Context.GrobName accessible as symbol lists

Again regarding comment #20: there is not really perfect choice in that matter. While I have invested considerable effort in making sure that both forms of \override/\revert work, for music functions like \overrideProperty or \tweak there is no such leeway. We need to decide whether to have dots or not, and the only thing working consistently here is dots everywhere.

In the current form of the patch, the interface for \overrideProperty still is non-dotted, but ultimately I don't see much of an option. Abolishing the non-dotted forms _hard_ from the parser would break upward-compatibility (having to employ convert-ly thoroughly) but would simplify the parser code in that area significantly. Since we don't really have the option for doing this sort of ambiguity resolution with music functions, it might make sense to bite the bullet and just go for consistent dotting in any path.