libreplanet-discuss

Re: youtube-dl DMCA takedown on GitHub is risk for all GNU/Linux distrib

From: Ali Reza Hayati
Subject: Re: youtube-dl DMCA takedown on GitHub is risk for all GNU/Linux distributions
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 20:02:42 +0330

I agree with you, Jean.

This is a major concern about software distribution. The reason behind
this is, pardon me, dumb. If we go by this reason, we should take down
the whole internet and even modern technology just because people may
misuse it. It's just in case that we consider downloading public media,
a misuse.

Good news is that because of this specific takedown, public attention is
now gained and we may be able to do something about it.

First step would be moving from corporate-backed services to services
that are run by companies that value human beings/people instead of
money. Money is important but the first priority should be people.

These service should be libre and also out of the U.S. for now as U.S.
laws are currently very stupid and discriminatory.

--
Ali Reza Hayati / alirezahayati.com
PGP: 6ACD 8BF4 4109 E852 96B7 2F20 6118 CCE2 1080 D0E2