libreplanet-discuss

Re: Free Software Logo -> Where does FSF go?

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: Free Software Logo -> Where does FSF go?
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 11:35:21 +0100

   I thought the point of trademarking the gnu head has more to do with
   protecting the reputation of the project / movement, than enforcing
   "IP" or taking away people's freedom. Same reasoning with using
   CC-BY-ND rather than CC-BY-SA for writings with opinions.

   On Fri, Oct 30, 2020, at 10:14 AM, al3xu5 / dotcommon wrote:

   Thu, 29 Oct 2020 09:26:17 -0700 - Aaron Wolf <[1]wolftune@riseup.net>:

   > [...] The FSF is not opposed

   > to legal enforcement of trademarks and copyrights (copylefts in this

   > case).

   Sorry but I am very amazed to hear this statement.

   I believed that the ethical spirit that originated GNU and GPL
   (copyleft),

   and that is the basis of the FSF, was exactly that of opposing
   trademarks,

   copyrights and patents.

   I believed that the primary objective of the FSF and copyleft should be
   on

   the social level, at the service of the freedom of persons, of the

   community, of justice and equality; and not on the technical, legal or

   economic one.

   I have been an FSF member for many years. Perhaps the FSF has been

   changing for some time. Or maybe I'm the one who doesn't understand.
   Maybe

   I never understood.

   However, if things are really like this (and it seems to me more and
   more

   that they are or that they are becoming) I don't think I will renew my

   membership beyond that.

   But I really hope the FSF makes it clear that this is not the case, in

   words and above all in deeds.

   Regards

   al3xu5

   --

   Say NO to copyright, patents, trademarks and industrial design

   restrictions!

   _____

   Public GPG/PGP key: F94CFE23 (4096 bit RSA)

   Key fingerprint:    59C6 9DC7 CD4B CF2F A190  E3DE 69C5 977B F94C FE23