Re: [Libcdio-devel] CD-TEXT documentation

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] CD-TEXT documentation
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 23:17:17 -0500

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Thomas Schmitt <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I had looked on the Wayback  as well and couldn't find it. Do you have an
> > exact URL?
>
> My own endeavor is described in the archives
>  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libcdio-devel/2011-11/msg00030.html
> you then reported that it worked for you
>  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libcdio-devel/2011-11/msg00031.html
> Actually i got the substantial impression you have cdtext.zip
> somewhere.

Ye,. I did. I am so absent minded.

But I deleted that from my disk after downloading.  I have wasn't
interested in reading it although looking at it again I did at one point.

All this is because *you* reported trouble.  We've come full circle.

> > I'd prefer if we could find and use freely available docs.
>
> At least for SCSI, this is not easy. If there still are copies around,
> then i would not advertise them loudly. The exposer could get into trouble.

It get the impression that drafts, or at least some, of them were
distributed for public review. And that's why many are still around.

If it so happens that the information for those aspects described here
happens to be the same in semantic content as the final draft, that's good
enough. *We* do the work to verify that the information is the same so
others don't have to. Or sign up at Sony's site.

Another approach which I've used in the past and I think is perfectly
suitable is to use one of the vendor manuals that is freely available.

Plextor, for example, provided documents that for our purposes were
probably as good as the MMC specs. The deal at one time way that CD
manufacturers had to pay something to pay to get the Specs or for
certification, but having done that they could then modify and rebrand the
spec as their user guide.

> > I would prefer not to put any pressure or advertising for non-free
> > documents.
>
> That's why i still refer to the formerly publicly available drafts.

I am interested though in understanding of those drafts ever had a
distribution restriction.

I'm pretty sure the say the Plextor manuals, although copyright did not
have a restriction on redistributing.