Re: [Libcdio-devel] CD-TEXT documentation

From: Thomas Schmitt
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] CD-TEXT documentation
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 19:41:19 +0100

Hi,

Leon Merten Lohse wrote:
> most of them just
> quote Wikipedia (which has an imho horrible article on CD-Text).

One should do something about that, too.
Problem is that we are original source of the emerging improved
documentation and that its most important sources are not online
any more.

> The specification does not say whether the following genre packs hold the
> two bytes, too or not. In fact even the two standard implementations do not
> behave the same on this. CDRWIN adds it to every genre pack, while the Sony
> tool does not. (or was it the other way around, Thomas?).

I relied on your information, when i stated
"They may or may not be repeated at the start of the follow-up packs
 of type 0x87."

>        3 : 3 -> CD-TEXT is copyrighted, 0 -> CD-TEXT is not copyrighted
> Actually this byte holds some more information (according to cdda2wavs
> source code) about program area subchannel copyright (?) if I remember right
> but not even the Sony tool, which was my and therefore libcdios reference
> implementation, supports that.

I am not sure whether these two bits correspond with the COPY permission
bit of CONTROL and the SCMS field of MMC command SEND CUE SHEET.

The COPY bits of Q sub-channel field CONTROL can have three states:
 On=          Copying is permitted
 Off=         Copying is permitted only once
 Alternating= Copying is forbidden
With CD SAO burning, the alternating state is controled by the SCMS column
of the cue sheet together with the COPY bit in the CTL/ADR column.

Wikipedia states about SCMS for DAT and MiniDisc:
  "copy allowed (00), copy once (10) and copy prohibited (11)."

So we have much room to speculate what is incidential similarity and
what is an intended relation.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas