jilc-dev

Re: [Jilc-dev] Current Status

From: Gaurav Vaish
Subject: Re: [Jilc-dev] Current Status
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 05:10:18 +0530

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gopal.V" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2002 00:55

: No way !. It resolves the Method, Field , Class & BigConstant correctly.
: Well didn't U see the java/io/PrintStream/println(Ljava/lang/String;)V
: where System.out.println() was called ?. See code below.

    Hey, that's what I was wondering... I did test your previous program but not
this one. But in this I saw

<snip from="jdasm.c">
/* case METHOD:
case CLASS:
*/
</snip>

    Basically commented out... so I thought there are some problems. Anyway, if
that is not the case, then I will uncomment it.

: The types I missed (messed) are ATYPE,MARRAY and INTERFACE which
: should not take much time once I get down to it.

    Ok.. I think just going through the specs once more may be required unless
everything is on the finger tips.

: I would suggest that we first get HelloWorld to work on Version 0
: and then talk about complex stuff like Threading. Our work will be full

    Right... that was the precise thing that I wished to point out. I mean, I
just wanted to convey that in the first phase, let's forget about this stuff.
Put this as a TODO for the time being.

: The real issue is the large hashtable/map(s) needed. So what book would
: you suggest for reading up on the IL bytecode.
: (no ECMA specs please)

    Well, I have been following the ECMA specs only. Though it's a huge file,
but that's the only source available right now. What I can do is, in case the
problem with you not the specs for the format in which it is stored (.doc
files), I will try to put up an html version of the same. Or if there's some
problem with reading the specs in any format, because of hugeness and
redundancy, I'll try to figure out some better place.

: code as our output for the first stage. (debugging bytecode is really hell!).

    No problem with that. Output the asm code for debugging. Once confident with
it, we'll go ahead to emit bytecode.

: I should know that , my 5th sem mini-project was a Java assembler. ( Had fun
: debugging the indexes/offsets using Hexview -- that's why I wrote class loader

    That sounds interesting. btw, an OT question - what semester are you
currently in?

Cheers,
Gaurav Vaish
http://home.iitk.ac.in/student/gvaish