info-gnus-english

Re: splitting Gmail account just copy not move :-(

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: splitting Gmail account just copy not move :-(
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 10:18:26 -0700

physiculus <physiculus@gmail.com> writes:

> Lars-Johan Liman <info-gnus-english@cafax.se> writes:
>
>> I believe this is a "Known Problem(TM)" (at least I have the same),
>> which pertains to Gmail's (incorrect?) interpretation of IMAP commands,
>> not to GNUS per se. I haven't found a set of IMAP command flags that
>> will properly delete the mail from Gmail for you, but I didn't have time
>> to drill to the bitter end of the bottomless dark pit of Googles
>> intestines ... :-( If you (or anyone else!) find/knows of a way, I'd be
>> more than thankful if you would share it with the rest of us.
>>
>>                              Cheers,
>>                                /Liman
> Hello, yes Google wants to use their own apps or Chrome. Within it
> works.
> But i found a solution on this list, unfortunately it doesn't work for
> me (It produces an error message in gnus.el). Maybe someone could make
> the code work, i'm not a developer.
>
> Here is the link:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnus-english/2013-10/
> msg00022.html

Most of the code there should no longer be necessary -- you don't need
to fetch the labels separately if X-GMAIL-LABELS is already in
`(gnus|nnmail)-extra-headers'. It might be enough to do:

(defun gnus-user-format-function-g (header)
  (let ((g-labels (cdr-safe
                   (assoc 'X-GM-LABELS
                          (mail-header-extra header)))))
    (when g-labels
      ...do something with labels)))

Then use the "%ug" format code in your summary line format. I have no
idea what the Gmail labels actually look like, so I can't help you with
how to output them, but that should be the easy part.

I don't believe there's any way to actually manipulate the labels from
within Gnus, though -- I suppose they're different from regular IMAP
flags/keywords?

Eric