Re: [igraph] plot: edges cross vertexes

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: [igraph] plot: edges cross vertexes
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 10:45:04 -0400

> * Gábor Csárdi <address@hidden> [2012-10-17 08:13:35 -0400]:
>
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Sam Steingold <sds-mXXj517/address@hidden>
> wrote:
> [...]
>> A picture is worth a 1000000 words.
>> Look at the demos http://www.yasiv.com/graphs#Bai/rw496
>> http://www.yasiv.com/amazon#/Search?q=graph%20drawing&category=Books&lang=US
>> Moving vertexes does not _set_ their location.
>> it just restarts the process of rendering from a different starting point.
>
> I don't get this, sorry.

Sorry, I am just drooling over pretty pictures of graphs :-)

> So you want animations during layout calculations and interactive
> start position selection?

No, I just want igraph to plot graphs better.

> How would implementing that 500 JS line
> layout algorithm in igraph help with that?

Well, I mentioned interactivity just in passing.
I do NOT want any animation, actually.
I just want a good chart.

Now, as I said, I understand your reluctance to branch off from the
igraph core area of expertize and go where you think graphviz and gephi
do better.  However, I still think that plotting in igraph deserves a
little more attention.  Maybe you do not need to implement it yourself.
Maybe you just need to link to an external library when it is available.
And you certainly do not need to have all the graphviz features; "10%"
would be enough.

At any rate, I am off to playing with igraph.to.graphNEL + graphviz.
Thanks for your kind help.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) X 11.0.11103000
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://palestinefacts.org http://honestreporting.com