Re: [igraph] OS X installation

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] OS X installation
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 21:10:57 +0200

> I am new to igraph, and wonder what is the right way of installing igraph on
> OS X (10.6.8).
>
> I see there is an installer for OS X Lion (10.7), but am not sure whether I
> should use that. Instead, can I install using pip? If so, what are the
> dependency packages I need for igraph?
The package is for OS X Lion only because I happen to use Lion and there is no
sane way for me to check whether it works on Snow Leopard (or earlier). If Snow
Leopard uses Python 2.7.x, there is a high chance that it will work because the
installer was compiled with Python 2.7.1 so it should be binary compatible with
Python 2.7.x.

Otherwise, if you happen to use Homebrew (http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew),
then you can probably compile the igraph package from scratch as follows:

1. Install Homebrew if you don't have it yet (and if you don't mind that
Homebrew will essentially take ownership of /usr/local)
2. Compile and install igraph using Homebrew by typing "brew install igraph"
3. Compile and install pkg-config using Homebrew by typing "brew install
pkgconfig" -- this is needed only because the setup.py script in the Python
interface finds the igraph core library using pkg-config.
4. Try "pip install python-igraph" -- hopefully it will work. If it doesn't,
drop me an email and I'll help.

If you don't use Homebrew and don't want to install it, but you have a working
C compiler on your machine (e.g., from XCode), you can try the following
procedure:

1. Download igraph's source code and extract it
2. Run "./configure && make && sudo make install". It will ask for your
password in the installation step.
3. Try "pip install python-igraph" -- hopefully it will work. If it doesn't,
drop me an email and I'll help.