Re: [igraph] Getting the latest development version of igraph

From: Gabor Csardi
Subject: Re: [igraph] Getting the latest development version of igraph
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 23:12:05 +0100

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 10:25:47PM +0100, Tamas Nepusz wrote:
[...]
> > I previously installed igraph-0.4.4 on this system.  I haven't
> > runthese programs yet:
> >
> > ./bootstrap.sh
> > ./configure
> > make
> > make install
> >
> > - should I be root (sudo) to run these programs?
> You only need root access to run make install if you install igraph into a
> directory that's writable only by the root user (such as /usr/include/igraph).

Even then, only for 'make install', the others should be run as
an ordinary user.

[...]
> the C core - I don't know how the R interface chooses the igraph version,
> maybe it's also linked statically. Gabor will surely tell you more about that
> if you need it.

The instructions i wrote only create the R package, don't install it.
If you want two R packages for the two versions then install them
into separate directories and use R's .libPaths() command to decide
which one to load. You can't load both of them at the same time, for
that you need to change the name of the package to 'igraph-devel'
or something. But you don't appear to be using R anyway....

Btw. the development version might contain bugs, might not even compile
sometimes, some funtions are undocumented, etc. Please don't be too
surprised...

G.

[...]